Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank?

On Friday, September 27, 2013 9:13:49 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 9/26/2013 7:23 PM, wrote:

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:56:06 +0000 (UTC), Alex Gunderson

wrote:

I realize this is a legal question but has anyone here had this happen.

Any advice?

1. Bought a house, as is, in 2010, which came with a 1,000 gallon propane tank attached.

2. Entered into agreement with fuel company "1" for fuel in 2010.

3. No tank rental is paid to fuel company 1 because it's not their tank

Also consider that no "rental" is paid because you are buying gas from

them.

But he wasn't buying gas from the company he now believes
owns the tank for years after he bought the house. He used
a different company.

I contracted with a propane company to place a tank on our

property solely for the purpose of providing LPG to heat the swimming

pool. No rental was ever charged... UNTIL... we severely cut back on

the use of the heater and were not constantly filling it. They then

instituted what they called a "drayage" charge, charging us $x.xx per month.

That makes sense.

"Fired" that company and new one brought in a similar tank with no

drayage charge. Eventually got rid of pool and heater but next door

neighbor installed a pool and needed propane for it so they moved it

next door. He STILL has it and pays only for the gas he uses.

Why would you want to "own" it. If you own it, you're responsible for

maintenance.

I guess because he says the current company would charge $15/mth
if he were renting it from them. He says a new tank costs $1000.

If you stop using the gas, what are you going to do? Plant

petunias in it after you cut it in half?

If he's using it for heat and cooking and he knows he's in
an area where he's very unlikely to change fuels, then I
don't see stopping gas usage as being an issue.
How long these
tanks last and what you do with them when they have to
be disposed of, could be an issue. I would
suspect that the gas company has answers to all that.
I would not be surprised to find that if you call a gas
company and get one of their tanks, as either rental or
buying it, that they would take away the old tank, probably
for a charge. But saving $1000 every 6 years, I'd say
he's still going to come out way ahead.