Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank?

In article ,
Alex Gunderson wrote:

So, now I'm making plans for buying a new tank, and putting it in
myself.

Why? The propane company seems to be tickled pink to fill it. Since
they bought the other company, it is most likely theirs anyway. I don't
see any reason to spend the money to bring the new one up to code under
the circumstances and I certainly don't see any need to take ownership
of the tank (with attendant small but still not trivial legal risks that
attach).

It looks like I'll need the following (based on new regulations
of distance from the house and earthquake resistance which had
grandfathered the original tank but don't apply to new):
* new 1,000 gallon propane tank *
* reinforced concrete pad with tie-down eyehooks or lag bolts *
* trench must be 12" deep minimum & 18" if driven over *
* underground yellow flexible conduit (25' minimum distance) *
* two galvanized steel risers at the tank *
* high pressure regulator at the tank for the house *
* low pressure regulator at the tank for the pool & BBQ *
* low pressure regulator at the house *

the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe