Posted to alt.home.repair
Alex Gunderson Alex Gunderson is offline

Default Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank?

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:20:42 -0500, CRNG wrote:

b) If the previous owner did not own the tank, (e.g. it was owned by the
gas company-A ) then the gas company owns it.

c) When gas company-A was bought by gas company-B, then company-B became
the new owner of the tank, assuming company-B bought all the assets of
company-A (and not just it's name).

From what I've read, the tank was probably *not* bought by the PO.

Of course, I'll also ask for written proof that my current gas supplier
owns the tank; but I assume they would have that so I would simply expect
to doublecheck the serial number, just in case the tank had been replaced
unbeknownst to me and to the propane company.

In North Carolina, we now know that ownership rights to the above-ground
tanks need to be established at the county level, by the propane company
filing and renewing a form certifying their ownership.

So, I will also check with my California county today, to see if a similar
provision exists for my state.