Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default WW2 interesting trivia

On 9/24/2013 1:09 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 07:34:02 -0500,
wrote:

On 9/24/2013 12:54 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Gunner, I don't know how it was in WWII, but by the time Viet Nam came
around, they'd fixed that ballistics problem.

All we shot in both the M-60s and the Browning .50s was 4-and-1 ball and
tracer. I can guarantee you that out to about 500 yards (maybe 700),
they both held target on the tracer rounds, perfectly.

We had a lot of 'directed fire' kills to attest to that.

LLoyd

That agrees with my personal experience with M-60 and M-14.

And - fighters had to be at least that close to the target to hit
anything. So longer range shooting doesn't really happen.

Mighty dangerous firing tracer from the M14 or in my case..the early
version of the XM-21

Kinda depends on which end you are looking at, doesn't it?

True. Its far more dangerous to the shooter. The Target is a foregone
conclusion. and is the Enemy. Of no value at all..... alive.

I've fired several thousand tracers from an M-60.
Maybe I should have asked if it was safe first?