Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W[_3_] Larry W[_3_] is offline

Default New Power tool line from a name you know

In article ,
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:48:58 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
and a B&d router from 1974 that is a great little tool.

++1. I too have (and still use) a 1hp B&D router I received in 1972
for my 18th birthday. It's mostly metal construction with just a
little plastic for the baseplate and the handles. When I pass by
present day mostly plastic 1hp B&D routers in the stores, it makes me
want to gag.

I made the mistake of loaning it to my bother about five years ago. To
get it back, I went out and bought him one of the newer plastic junk
routers and traded it to him for the old one. Damned if that's the
last time I loan it to *anyone*.

Something from the 7610 series? I have one of roughly the same vintage that
is still the 1st router I reach for unless I need something with a lot
more hp. It's a nice, compact unit, good quality and performance. I'm
a hobbyist, not a professionial, but even so, 40 +/- years old and never
even had to replace the switch or brushes. I've bought plenty of
"premium" name tools since then that have not held up so well.