Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Power tool line from a name you know

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:48:58 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2013 7:31 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:17:21 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/24/2013 6:30 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:31:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Better keep your eyes open if you are shipping for DeWalt power tools, a
look alike tool is about to hit the shelves.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/cordl...y=201 3-09-24

I don't understand what's so special about DeWalt? Is there *really*
space between DeWalt and Porter Cable to squeeze another line?

I kinda caught on to that too. BUT once upon a time B&D was a quality
and reputable power tool and by the way things have seemed to go in the
past ten or so years one could say, Once upon a time PC was a quality
and reputable power tool.

Agreed, though I think B&D started going downhill long before they
bought the others.

It seems that B&D power hand tools have been on the very slippery
downward slope since they started building DeWalt power hand tools.

Long before that. I've had some real junk with the B&D name on it.

Don't get me wrong, DeWalt isn't a terrible brand but it certainly
isn't anywhere near the top. Porter Cable still have some decent
stuff (routers, mostly) but most has slumped to the B&D level. I
could see a higher end than B&D but not another lower.

Bostich had a great name. It really is a shame to see it being
marketed as sub-DeWalt.

IMHO DeWalt is good but I too feel that there are better brand tools out
there. I had some PC sanders that were top notch but that was in the
early 90's. I don't think they ever could build a decent cordless
drill. ;~)

I have a 14V PC cordless. I liked it but don't use it anymore mainly
because it's too heavy for overhead use and I have better now (the
batteries went kaput and they were too expensive to replace). I
wouldn't buy any of the new garbage. OTOH, the PC690 and PC7518 (have
a motor in a lift) are still reasonable routers.

I don't think you can go wrong with Makita and some
Milwaukee stuff, especially the corded tools. I have never been impress
with Bosch drills and or impacts. On occasion I have used Bosch drills
of in the past 25 years and oddly enough had them fail every time I used
them. Some where along the line I apparently won a Bosch impact, it
showed up on my door step addressed to me shipped directly from Bosch
and no explanation. It is the 18~19 volt variety and I previously owned
a 12 volt Makita impact. I still prefer the Makita over the Bosch.
There was not a job that I did not use the Makita impact until I got a
Festool T15-3 cordless drill. That drill has replaced my old Makita
drill and impact and Bosch impact. I have not used any of the impacts
in the last 21 months. I do have two Bosch routers that are very good
and a B&d router from 1974 that is a great little tool.

I really like my Bosch drills and drivers (have eight ;-). I didn't
really like the older Makitas. I've gone through way too many
batteries on them.