Lowell Holmes

Default Sapele was Mahogany versus Mahogany

I had to do some of the same on a recent mesquite project. It sounds like
something I can do. :-)

My only other question is how to insure I get the Sapele instead of some
other wood sold as African Mahogany. I saw a bin with wood that looked like
Luan and other wood that was a red color. The light color would be very
boring.

I think I'll go buy a small piece and make a box to learn about the
characteristics before planning a more elaborate project with it.

"Jim Wilson" wrote in message
k.net...
Lowell Holmes wrote...
I have been told that it is difficult to plane with hand tools because

of
interlaced grain patterns. Is it more difficult than other woods such

as
Mesquite?.

Yes, in my opinion, but Sapele can be tamed. I have had to resort to
scraping on some particularly difficult pieces, but a well-tuned smoother
has usually been sufficient. Chip-out can be a problem when power-
planing.

Jim