Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default WW2 interesting trivia

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:34:21 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

It has all the "feel" of internet legend. However,
I could not find it on the web.

I wonder with the 12 year old. He was wounded and
discharged. Did they have to wound him also? I'd
have guessed just write him up and ship him home.
Did the court sentence him to be shot or some
thing?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

He was wounded in combat during the Battle of Guadalcanal and received
the Bronze Star, for giving assistance to other wounded, and a Purple
Heart.

Subsequently, apparently, his mother notified the Navy of his age and
he (again apparently) was court marshaled for lying and confined to
the Brig and later received a dishonorable discharge.

When he reached 17 years of age he re-enlisted in the Marines - which
seems a bit strange given his pervious dishonorable discharge - and
after 3 years he broke his back and was discharged again.
--
Cheers,

John B.