Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default WW2 interesting trivia

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:13:15 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

4. More US servicemen died in the Air Corps than the Marine Corps.
[Actually the 8th Air Force alone suffered about 5,000 more KIA than
the entire Marine Corps in WW2.) While completing the required 30
missions, an airman's chance of being killed was 71%.

Guess I'm lucky my father was an honest man... WWII was the last time a
non collage graduate could become a combat pilot. (Sergeant pilot
program) He qualified and went to cadet school. Did well until the very
last item before moving to flight training, an interview with a
psychologist. He noted others spent widely varying time being
interviewed.

His turn finally came and the very first question was "Why did you join
the Army Air Force?" His answer of "To keep out of the infantry Sir!"
was apparently not what they wanted to hear as there were no further
questions. Ended up being a propeller mechanic in the Pacific theater.
--
William