J. Clarke

Default Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Lobby Dosser wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

"Frank Ketchum" wrote in
k.net:

"Leon" wrote in message

I did the almost same thing almost 16 years ago. I e-mailed the Saw
Stop people a couple of years ago and they indicated that the device
will work even if the power to the motor has been turned off.

You're kidding, right? This thing will fire if you touch the blade
after power has been removed from the motor? How in the hell are you
supposed to change blades without this thing going off?

Frank

With great difficulty and a lot of time.

Most likely it shuts itself down when the blade stops moving.

Ever tried changing a blade without moving it?

I don't generally turn on the power in order to do it. Geez, it's the 21st
century--kitchen appliances have more processing power than a '60s
mainframe--how hard do you think it is to program a control so that "if
power has been turned on and off and blade is moving and skin touches it
activate, if blade has stopped and moves again and power has not been
turned on then do not activate".

Presumably if you pull the power cord, you'd shut it down.

How much power do you think it draws? I suspect that it has some kind of
backup power source with enough juice to keep it armed until the saw quits
turning. That's the way I'd design it.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)