Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Deck Repair w/Trex (and link to jpg)

On 9/19/2013 9:27 AM, Swingman wrote:

If you're worried about them standing the test of time due to age, go
ahead and "sister" them. (IOW, nail new joists up against the old, and
also into the butting rim joists).

Whoever built or repaired the step last time spanned the Trex all 47.5"
without support. I presume it was a quick repair the seller did before
they sold the house. Thanks to the suggestions I've received from the
folks here, I feel confident going forward. I'll post a before and
after pic just for fun. Being warped, it looks rather pitiful now.

BTW, I get to setup my Compound Miter Saw (on my impromptu stand and
jig) for this repair--a tool I've never used before. I appreciate tips
you have already provided about using that tool. If I am able to clamp
the stuff in the miter saw (using my F-clamps), I will.

Bill