Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Gluing cedar

"Michael" wrote in message

I made some test finger joints out of cedar and glued them last night. I
hand-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it failed! The temps
went to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new. I didn't clamp it but
you had to wriggle in the piece because the joint was fairly tight. I've
rarely worked with cedar. Is it resistant to yellow wood glue?

I've not had problems gluing eastern red cedar (juniper)... I cut the trees
down, sawed them, dried the boards for 1-8 years before use, and glued them
with yellow glue.

A question/thought.

Was the dry joint tight enough that it could have essentially wiped the glue
off as the pieces were pressed together during assembly?

I'm thinking that if the dry fit was tight and the wood very dry that
perhaps you needed to apply glue to all glue surfaces of both boards so that
glue was in fact in the joint when it was pressed together. By coating all
surfaces of both boards the glue would have time to soak in to both boards a
bit prior to assembly and not leave you with a glue starved joint.

John