Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gluing cedar

Michael wrote:

I made some test finger joints out of cedar and glued them last
night. I hand-planed the joint today to see how it looked and it
failed! The temps went to 45 last night. The glue is relatively new.
I didn't clamp it but you had to wriggle in the piece because the
joint was fairly tight. I've rarely worked with cedar. Is it
resistant to yellow wood glue?

woodchucker wrote:

It's an oily wood. Try cleaning with Acetone first, or using epoxy.

Michael wrote:

Thanks, Jeff. I'll give epoxy a shot.
Epoxy doesn't like 45F.

Try to maintain at least 65F until the epoxy kicks.

BTW, you also want to clean with acetone first.

Lew