Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Bandsaw trouble

On 9/16/2013 7:37 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I have an older Jet JBS 14MW bandsaw. While tightening one of the
upper guide blocks, the guide block housing cracked. DAGS for a
replacement part and came up with nothing, so it looks like I need to
go aftermarket. Looked at some of the Carter options, but they are
pretty pricey. Any suggestions?

Take it to a welding shop that does cast iron welding (magnaflux?) and
don't get carried away tightening down in the future?g

These things are more like pot metal like the old die-cast toy cars used
to be made of.
Very light, brittle, weak, and easy to crack. The problem with "don't
get carried away" is that if there was a scale of 1-10 of "tight enough
to hold the guide steady" and "too tight, might crack," the former would
be 5 and the latter would be 6. Seriously.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--