Grunff

Default Iffy wiring - should I worry?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Actually, that's a rather bad thing to do as solder creeps
under presure, so the contact pressure drops and you get a
bad connection.

I've heard this lots, but I have to say it hasn't been my experience.
Solder does creep, as does copper, but soldered twisted ends don't seem
to significantly. I suspect it's the combination of soldering and
twisting that results in a fairly incompressible mass.

I have bits of equipment with tinned flex going into screw terminals of
varying ages, some about 40 years old, and these connections still feel
tight.

--
Grunff