Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Dust collection hose question

On 9/16/2013 5:38 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/16/2013 4:44 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
dpb wrote in :

Agree, the noise is friction losses--_a_bad_thing_ (tm)

I've been using thinwall DWV plastic (Sch 30 or even 20) and excepting
for the static electricity annoyance(*) works fine as well.

(*) But it's no worse than the flex plastic, either...

I wrapped some wire around my planer discharge chute because of the
static. One end is grounded to the body of the planer. It helps quite a
bit.

Bill Pentz's site had a recommendation of putting a piece of metal tape
down the pipe on both inside and outside then connecting them with a
through bolt. Sounds like it worked well.

I've still got stuff in temporary places awaiting time enough to finish
pouring a slab and getting power to where I want the planer permanently
so haven't done anything regarding that. I figured in the end I'd just
run a piece of #10 or so fencing wire thru it and ground that and see
what happens...

My hose is long enough that it is always in contact with the concrete
floor. That contact seems to take care of static discharge as I can't
remember ever being shocked by the hose. A different climate might have
different results.

Indeed. If the RH ever gets to 30-40% here during summer days we're
complaining about the "high humidity". Normal would be in the '10s to
low 20s and in July/Aug not unusual at all to be in single digits. TN
and VA, otoh, if it dropped below 70-80% the natives complained about
how "dry" it was and chapped lips, etc., ... It's all in what one's
used to.