Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default OT - this group is alone

On 9/10/2013 4:32 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 9/10/2013 1:58 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/10/13 1:35 PM, Markem wrote:
Yeah but you have conform to the rules, here on usenet not so much.

Mark

No "rules" on either sites I mentioned.

And strangely, some of the really old timers, who participated here for years,
can be contacted quicker on FaceBook (Tom Watson, Charlie Self, John Paquay,
Luigi, David Eisan, among others), so not all the old wRec farts are Luddites.
Go figure.

Still don't feel, for my purposes, that FB is an alternative to the wRec; and
G+ may just be a bit too full of hand tool snobs for most hanging on here.

Thought G+ was great for a while, can't abide web based forums, and have always
gravitated back here out of preference. Just been too damned busy to do much
but lurk lately.

I agree with your assessments too, Karl. G+ is far superior to FB for the
types of dialogs we're accustomed to here, but try as I might to get into it,
it's just not doing it for me.

I haven't seen anybody here mention Reddit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit

It's kind of the rage these days as the up and coming alternative to those
"other" social networks, and I think it lines up pretty well as a modern
alternative to newsgroups. It has all those things that I think we consider
here to be advantages: anonymity (if you so choose), no "rules" (unless the
creators and/or admins choose to lock it down), and a threaded discussion
hierarchy (A BIG plus for me; FB and G+ annoy the hell out of me in this
regard). It also has modern features that we're missing here, like integrated
image hosting, and a rating system that allows you to "up-vote" or "down-vote"
individual posts, which cause the higher-rated and more active threads and
posts to sorta "float to the top", as it were. Pretty cool. There are
literally a jillion "subreddits", and of course there is one for woodworking;
check it out:

http://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/

Of course, if "we" didn't find this one suitable, a "rec.woodworking" subreddit
could easily be created that better fits our needs.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.