Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Help! removing completely superglue

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:59:04 +0200, Robert Roland
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:18:41 -0700, wrote:

I tried acetone and while it softens the glue I can't
seem to get it to dissolve completely into the acetone. Do I just need
to soak the parts for hours?

Acetone will dissolve CA glue, but it takes time. As others have
mentioned, make sure your part does not get damaged by the acetone
soak.

I need to remove all the glue so I can
start over.

There are products made specifically for de-bonding CA:
http://www.amazon.com/Un-cure-debond.../dp/B0000DD1QS

In my experience, they leave a residue that makes it impossible to get
the glue to stick to the same spot again. I use CA mostly on wood.
Getting the residue cleaned off a hard surface might be possible.

Cured CA is hard to remove. There are several "de-bonders" sold for
CA. Not all are the same. Some are basically acetone, some methylene
chloride as has been said already. I have tried both and cannot say
that I am impressed by either.

The fencing armourers tend to use CA to wire epees and foils. Much
argument has been made as to how to remove the old wires. I personally
use heat gun but those who deal with volume swear by acetone baths:
They put several blades into a bath for as much as 24 hours. Whether
your item would tolerate such treatment is a big question.

As far as suitability of CA as an adhesive, I would say horses for
courses. I possess no fewer than four industrial CAs. Each has its
well defined purpose. Even in the narrow confines of re-wiring epee
blades some blades take one type of CA better than another. I also
possess no less than ten other types of glue, each with its specific
indication. I have been known to use four different glues on a single
piece.

YMMV

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC