Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Rifling a .177 cal air gun barrel

On 9/14/2013 6:14 AM, Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

It'd be far cheaper to buy a target barrel spare from an air rifle supplier and cut and turn it to size than set up for a onesie rifling project.

Isn't the point to learn a new skill and add capabilities to your shop?

I agree, but rifling a barrel is at the extreme upper limits of a good
professional machinist and requires quite a bit of specific tooling and
preparation for production of a single barrel. Also, you wouldn't be
making one barrel because its a steep learning curve and you could
easily do a dozen or more before producing one worth testing.

I bought several books on rifling from Lindsay just before they folded
and what I got was either suited to a muzzle loader barrel of large
caliber or old pre- WWI tech suited to mass production.

Choosing a .177 caliber to start will probably also steepen the learning
curve.

OTOH, good luck and keep us informed as you experiment!

David