Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Razor scooter woes

How much longer you figure he's going to be the right
size to ride? I'd go with the red loctite, and see if
that holds.

Second attempt might be two part epoxy.

As to drill, cut threads and put in 8=32 screws maybe,
and loctite the screws in?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/13/2013 4:31 PM, Eli the Bearded wrote:
My youngest has a Razor Scooter, looking something like this one:

http://www.target.com/p/razor-ultra-...r/-/A-11893958

The handle bar is a single piece T shape that slips on to a groved (looks
threaded, but seems to be a series of parallel notches) stem in the base.
Then a collar with two 7mm socket cap screws (a very difficult item for
me to find for sale) that secure the collar and clamp the bottom of the
T to the stem.

The problem is that the handlebar doesn't stay aligned with the wheel.
A bump or a crack will twist the wheel one way while the handlebar is
going the other, and oops, out of alignment.

The razor website sells replacement collars that use four of those screws,
for a better hold. Alas, those are for a different model and the collars
are a few mm too small.

I was thinking of taking it apart and applying red thread lock (loctite)
on the groves of the stem so that it gets second way of securing to the
handlebars.

I could, but am not enthusiastic about the idea, drill through things
and add some sort of cross piece, eg, a heavy duty cotter pin. Thread
lock seems less permanent than epoxy or welding, so if I need to take
it apart to repair or replace a piece I have that as an option.

How does that plan sound?

Elijah
------
shipping from the razor website is a killer, too