Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Help! removing completely superglue

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:18:41 -0700, wrote:

I am trying to glue a red bakelite object. The break is fresh. So I
put superglue on the break and everything was jake until I dropped the
damn thing and it came apart and the glue set and there's **** stuck
to the break. I tried acetone and while it softens the glue I can't
seem to get it to dissolve completely into the acetone. Do I just need
to soak the parts for hours? I need to remove all the glue so I can
start over. You would think that after having years to get used to the
nerve damage that causes me to drop things but nooooo, I still drop
things and I know better. Crap.
Eric

The two easily available solvents for cyanoacrylate adhesives are
acetone and methylene chloride (paint remover). Neither one really
attacks it aggressively, although the paint remover probably is the
more aggressive of the two.

There are proprietary solvents made for the purpose; I don't know how
well they work.

Bakelite is pretty chemical-resistant, but I don't promise that a
solvent won't turn it into a lump of putty.

Personally, I hate superglue with a passion. It's never the best
solution for anything, it seems to me, except for a quick job of
glueing your fingers together and ripping off some skin. g

--
Ed Huntress