Huge

Default [OT] Car insurance craziness

Dave Plowman writes:

[12 lines snipped]

I was with the same company for about 40 years - although it had merged
with others in that time - with never a claim. Then one year they decided
to more than double my premium with no change in my circumstances. So I
changed companies after doing a search. I wrote to the old one telling
them of my decision and why, but got no reply. And the next year the new
company decided to increase my premium by much more than inflation, so I
changed again, and will do so if this happens with this one.

IME, car insurance is the top thing to make the effort to shop round. I
do so every year with both cars, and expect to see a 4:1 ratio in premiums
between most expensive (always the AA) and the cheapest.

And having found a cheaper quote, you can nearly always get your
present insurer to match it.