Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Socketless Cap Screws

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:47:23 PM UTC-4, David Billington wrote:
On 12/09/13 20:37, William Bagwell wrote:

Yes, socket*less* cap screws. As in no hole to insert a hex key, but other wise

the same shape and height as the head on a socket head cap screw. Roughly 5/16"

to 3/8" X short, standard or metric, course or fine thread, grade, material

unimportant. Does have to be metal... Thought about ordering shoulder bolts and

cutting the head off. May end up going this route but looking for a less

expensive and labor intensive solution since I may need as many as 50.

Could possibly live with an acorn head if it lacked wrench flats, but prefer

the cylindrical over bullet shape.

Another poster mentioned breakaway nuts but you can get bolts in this

style also. I used a couple for a job years ago but can't remember what

or why now. The bolts were used to hold the ignition barrel and steering

column lock on a European Ford application and were IIRC 8mm and maybe

30mm long but it was a while ago. Got them from stock at the local Ford

dealer parts department so a good place to start as I would guess the

same might be used in the US as well if that's where you are.

Y'know, I've seen such breakaway bolts in a locksmithing catalog (which I can't put my hands on now). You might check with a local locksmith for some advice.

Also, without knowing exactly what it is you're trying to do or how many you need, I'll just take a shot: Would it be possible to just take some cap screws and fill in the sockets with solder? Shouldn't be a big deal at all, unless you need thousands.