Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

Default Rifling a .177 cal air gun barrel

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:06:06 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

It is not difficult to turn a .22 cal barrel to 20mm O.D. But why the

"ground finish"?

If you're not familiar with it, the Hubertus is a push-in-the-barrel, to cock the spring, air pistol.

That interface twixt barrel OD, and the hole in front of the air cylinder, is hence important enough to suggest a ground finish. But yes, I could easily get away with just a sheet of emery after turning.

Also though, somewhat, in a quest for authenticity. Which BTW is why I'd like it rifled, as the original was.

This particular gun is a family heirloom, which makes the effort seem worthwhile.

--

PaulS