Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default Rifling a .177 cal air gun barrel

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 04:30:14 -0700 (PDT), PCS
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:59:23 PM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:
As a matter of fact, I'm setting up to build 9mm rifled barrels right

now. I'm using my CHNC lathe and a high pressure car wash pump to set

up gundrilling. Then a rifling button to press through the honed

barrel for the rifle grooves.

Even doing things on the cheap, I'll end up spending $500 to make the

first barrel. probably not worth it for one.

Green Mountain rifle company sells barrel blanks. You might look into

that. http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/search?searchvalue=.17

Karl

Karl,

Sounds interesting, but potentially very messy ;-).
I will look forward to hear how that works out.

As an alternate to gun drilling, have you looked at the newest drill geometries, such as Titex, that can do 20 to 30 diameters, no peck, and with normal coolant pressure? Just amazing... to me at least.

Yes, buying a pre-rifled barrel would be one way to skin this cat. However, I do also need a ground finish & correct 20mm sizing on the OD of this barrel, so that would require some work. Not to mention my congenital parsimony.

Thanks for posting,

It is not difficult to turn a .22 cal barrel to 20mm O.D. But why the
"ground finish"?
--
Cheers,

John B.