Robert Bonomi

Default Mahogany versus Mahogany

In article ,
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My wife wants me to build yet another garden bench from Wood magazine. This
is a simple one compared to the Tudor I just completed.

I looked at what to build it from. The article suggested cedar from the
home store instead of from the usual hardwood outlets we use. So, off to
the local lumber yard. I priced the cedar and was just not happy with the
quality. On the way out, I stopped to look at the decking display they are
building. They have samples of all the material, wood and composites, on
display like a real deck. We were taken back by the appearance of the
mahogany deck. So, I priced out what I need for the project.

My local hardwood dealer lists 5/4 mahogany at $6.50 a board foot. The
lumber yard stuff works out to $2.87 bd. ft. To buy the same amount of wood
(includes a 4 x 4 x 8') would have been $100 more at the wood dealer.

Is this the same mahogany? It is clear, looks good, is planed and straight.
Not only was the price better, but they had no 4 x 4 x 8' in stock so he
gave me a 10' for the same price. I have enough left to make legs for a
small table. They also have Ipe for a little more. The 5/4 x 6 is $2.06 a
lineal foot.

The name 'mahogany' covers a multitude of sins.

Three broad categories:
"Honduran" mahogany, the somewhat reddish-hued brown that is the classic
material of the name.

"Philippine mahogany", (aka 'luan', and some similar species) often
slightly purplish to dark brown.

"African mahogany", (aka 'meranti', and other similar species) typically,
a light, almost golden, brown. this is _much_ lighter (mass-wise)
than the other 'mahogany' woods. Like only 2/3 to 1/2 the weight,
per unit volume.

Pricing is all over the place, depending on which kind of 'mahogany' you're
dealing with.