Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] phlopz83@gmail.com is offline

Default Bluish Green "Stuff" On House Copper Water Pipes (and pinhole leaks)

On Friday, February 25, 2011 11:27:08 AM UTC-7, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have had a pinhole leak this year, and also a few years back, so started
looking at my Copper house water plumbing a bit.

Noticed several areas with that bluish-green coating on it.

a. Is this indicative of a pinhole leak developing ?

b. what actually is this bluish-green "stuff" ?

c. Is it a reaction of the Copper with the outside air, and thus
developing on the pipe's outside, or it coming from the inside ?

d. Interesting in that I see it in the middle of a run, here and there,
so it's unlikely that it is caused by any soldering flux residual.

I do also see it at joints, and am wondering if it is caused, here, by a
soldering flux residual ?

Any thoughts on the bluish-green stuff, and pinhole leaks would be most
appreciated.

BTW: how common are pinhole leaks in older (around 35 yr old) homes ?

Thanks,
Bob

I have started plumbing in small town with a pinhole problem when i go to replace 5 year old copper pipe with pex the pipe is so thin that i can not even cut it with copper cutters, pinholes are a problem, I have stopped using copper altogether Pex is so ugly if the municipality is supplying water that destroys pipes cant they be held responsible,( I have worked in towns with 35 year old copper and older the pipes are almost as good as the day they were put in. the lead solder they used back then oxidizes and causes leaks at joints. Aquarise (cpvc)seems like a good copper replacer