Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default OT -- drywall repair

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:40:47 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/10/2013 9:27 AM, Markem wrote:
On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 21:20:25 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

Any reason not to use my ROS to smooth out the joint compound on a small -- 12x10 -- drywall repair?

A bucket of water and a sponge is fast, easy and cleaner.

Mark

Does that work after the mud has dried?

You better believe It does. It even works with Durabond, too.

In my experience there are two conditions that need to be met to make
using a damp sponge more desirable than sanding with a screen, an
abrasive pad or sand paper. The first thing is the application of the
compound needs to be relatively smooth and the second thing is the
sponge cannot be too wet.

If the application of compound was too thick or too inconsistent I use
an abrasive and clean up the mess. If the sponge is too wet you will
either just smear the compound around or you will take off too much in
one area. It takes practice. I've done a lot of drywall repair and
replacement and I still prefer to do the majority of the work with an
abrasive.