Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Metrologic ML855 HeNe Laser

On 9/10/2013 8:53 AM, tm wrote:
You should be able to get a key made by a locksmith. Baring that, key
switches are easy to find with new keys. You could remove the key switch
and install a common toggle switch for trouble shooting the laser tube.

Most likely you will find the tube will not start. Over the years, the
He gas has migrated through the glass and the seals and will be at low
pressure.

If this is the case, It is possible to soak the tube in a He atmosphere
and He will diffuse back into the tube. This will take a few days to do
and you will need to check it frequently

tm

wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I'm a high school physics teacher, and just found an ML855 HeNe Laser
from 1989 in a storage closet at my school that I'm trying to get to
energize. My degree is in electrical engineering, so I'm not unfamiliar
with troubleshooting electronics, but I've never worked with laser
electronics, especially not from the 80s. The device requires a key to
activate a switch, which I cannot find, but I was able to use a
paperclip, while the device was unplugged, to attempt to rotate the lock
mechanism into the "on" position. Now, I'm not sure if this rotated the
actual switch or just some part of the lock, so the source of this
entire problem could be that I am missing that key. If this is so, how
could I obtain a replacement key for this unit?

If this is not the case, and you think my "jimmy the lock with a
paperclip" method should have turned it on, does anyone know of any
common failures with this model laser? The power light on the back does
not even turn on, so if it is a failure, I imagine it's with the power
supply.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

IF there is a number on the metal part of the switch, a locksmith can
make you a key based on that number.

Paul