Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Metrologic ML855 HeNe Laser

Hi Folks,

I'm a high school physics teacher, and just found an ML855 HeNe Laser from 1989 in a storage closet at my school that I'm trying to get to energize. My degree is in electrical engineering, so I'm not unfamiliar with troubleshooting electronics, but I've never worked with laser electronics, especially not from the 80s. The device requires a key to activate a switch, which I cannot find, but I was able to use a paperclip, while the device was unplugged, to attempt to rotate the lock mechanism into the "on" position. Now, I'm not sure if this rotated the actual switch or just some part of the lock, so the source of this entire problem could be that I am missing that key.. If this is so, how could I obtain a replacement key for this unit?

If this is not the case, and you think my "jimmy the lock with a paperclip" method should have turned it on, does anyone know of any common failures with this model laser? The power light on the back does not even turn on, so if it is a failure, I imagine it's with the power supply.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

You should be able to get a key made by a locksmith. Baring that, key
switches are easy to find with new keys. You could remove the key switch and
install a common toggle switch for trouble shooting the laser tube.

Most likely you will find the tube will not start. Over the years, the He
gas has migrated through the glass and the seals and will be at low
pressure.

If this is the case, It is possible to soak the tube in a He atmosphere and
He will diffuse back into the tube. This will take a few days to do and you
will need to check it frequently

tm

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

IF there is a number on the metal part of the switch, a locksmith can
make you a key based on that number.

Paul
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
[...]

bypass the switch.

there's no reason to have a keyswitch on some old dead laser.

You'll also find a new keyswitch from digikey or newark will cost less
than talking to a locksmith.

Wow, you need to find a better locksmith. I needed a key for a portable
pulsed x-ray source and took it to a good locksmith. He looked up the lock
number and sold me two keys for $6 something.

I agree with you that the laser will most likely be dead but might be
recoverable with a He soak.

I am pretty sure that a key switch is required by the FDA depending on the
laser power. Considering he is a HS teacher and may be using this around
students, the key switch is a good thing to have.

This space reserved for snarkey comments.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:58:55 PM UTC-4, tm wrote:
[...]

Thanks all. I'll pop it open and hook in a rocker switch or something like that (when no students are around, of course). Maybe I'll get lucky and the tube will still work. Otherwise, I'll talk to some friends in labs about a Helium soak.

Thanks again.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:02:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:58:55 PM UTC-4, tm wrote:

snip previous stuff

Thanks all. I'll pop it open and hook in a rocker switch or something like that (when no students are around, of course). Maybe I'll get lucky and the tube will still work. Otherwise, I'll talk to some friends in labs about a Helium soak.

Well if that doesn't work. What's a HeNe do, that you can't do with a red diode laser? ~$10 or so.

George H

Thanks again.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've worked with HeNe tubes before. The ones I've seen are a foot to 1.5
feet in length; they are usually 1 milli-watt to 5 milli-watts laser output
power. You would not want to get the beam directly in your eye, it could
cause some damage. I have heard that the eye very quickly turns to avoid
being damaged though. The little laser pointer that you can buy all over
that work off of watch batterys are in the same range of power. A HeNe tube
puts out a much better quality of laser light and more coherent than a
little laser pointer and it will be most likely red light. You won't see
the beam at these low power levels, just a intense bright spot on what ever
you aim it at. Note that the brightness of the spot is much brighter that
our eyes can determine. If it is low power like I'm guessing, I don't think
you need the key switch; just replace it with a toggle switch, I think US
and Canada changed the rules on low power laser otherwise you wouldn't be
able to by a laser pointer toy.

The power supply to power the HeNe tube run around 2000 volts and some put
out a pulse to start the tube up to a voltage of around 10,000 volts. They
draw a few milliamps. So watch out not to shock yourself if you touch
anything inside the chassis. Also note that after the power is turned off,
the laser tube holds a charge on it and if you touch the wrong area you'll
get an unpleasant shock - guess how I know this :-)

Good luck!

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Roger kom med denne ide:

You'll also find a new keyswitch from digikey or newark will cost less
than talking to a locksmith.
I've worked with HeNe tubes before. The ones I've seen are a foot to 1.5
feet in length; they are usually 1 milli-watt to 5 milli-watts laser output
power. You would not want to get the beam directly in your eye, it could
cause some damage. I have heard that the eye very quickly turns to avoid
being damaged though.

Sign: Don't look into laser with remaining good eye.

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Roger wrote:

[...]

The ML855 seems to be rated as a 5 mW laser.

According to the Great Font of Trackless Factoids (i.e. Wikipedia)
this is right at the upper limit of Class 3R ("considered safe if
handled carefully, with restricted beam viewing"). It's well above
the 1 mW limit for Class 2 lasers ("safe because the blink reflex will
limit the exposure to more than 0.25 seconds") which is usually the
category in which you find inexpensive laser pointers, I believe.

Anything above 5 mW is at least Class 3B, which does require a key
switch and a safety interlock.

So, replacing the keyswitch with a new one, rather than with a toggle,
would be prudent. Otherwise, the laser might someday end up being
toggled on by someone who thought it was no brighter (or more
hazardous) than a $2 laser pointer, and careless use might result in
someone's eye being damaged.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:04:12 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
writes:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:02:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:58:55 PM UTC-4, tm wrote:

snip previous stuff

Thanks all. I'll pop it open and hook in a rocker switch or something like that (when no students are around, of course). Maybe I'll get lucky and the tube will still work. Otherwise, I'll talk to some friends in labs about a Helium soak.

Well if that doesn't work. What's a HeNe do, that you can't do with a red diode laser? ~$10 or so.

Actually quite a lot.

Hi Sam, What kind of things? We sell both a HeNe and a diode laser with our interferometery apparatus.
http://teachspin.com/instruments/moderni/index.shtml

The HeNe has a fixed wavelength.... and as it warms up you can watch the coherence length 'swish' around as the different longitudinal modes cross over the gain curve. But that seems like a bit of an esoteric difference for the 'normal' high school laser application.

What else do you have in mind?

George H.

If it is less than about 30 years old, the tube is hard-sealed and
doesn't really leak. An ML855 could be function like new

Bypasss or replace the switch and see what happens.

Just be careful of the line voltage and high voltage inside!

--

sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi Shaun, Certainly the beam profile is better in a HeNe.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'more coherent', but for the few diode lasers I've looked at - compared to the short cavity HeNe that I have, the diode lasers had a longer coherence length.
(Which struck me as a bit weird the first time I saw it... I had this mistaken belief that the coherence length was related to the cavity length.)
I'm not sure if the long cavity HeNe's have a longer or shorter coherence length when compared to the short cavities... Perhaps Sam will educate us.

George H.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

09/10/2013On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:41:52 +0200, Leif Neland
wrote:

Roger kom med denne ide:

You'll also find a new keyswitch from digikey or newark will cost less
than talking to a locksmith.
I've worked with HeNe tubes before. The ones I've seen are a foot to 1.5
feet in length; they are usually 1 milli-watt to 5 milli-watts laser output
power. You would not want to get the beam directly in your eye, it could
cause some damage. I have heard that the eye very quickly turns to avoid
being damaged though.

Sign: Don't look into laser with remaining good eye.

I worked for a company in the mid 80s that sold Pioneer Laser Disc
players. A high school kid came in one day who experimented with the
laser tubes from these players. He had holes burnt into the iris of
one of his eyes. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

[...]

There's a lot one can do with respect to the longitudinal modes, though
perhaps that is a bit of a stretch for an intro to lasers in high school.

But one can do some nice interferometry experiments with not much additional
equipment.

In fact, I see you your Web site that you do some of these things.

A Fabry-Perot with a common random polarized HeNe laser is a work of art. ;-)

The beam quality is also a lot better than most diode lasers (divergence,
beam profile).

With some you can put another mirror in front or in back of the laser
(if accessible) and get 1 or more of the other HeNe wavelengths.

I can go on and on.....

Contact me directly via repairfaq.org if you'd like.
--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

George H.

If it is less than about 30 years old, the tube is hard-sealed and
doesn't really leak. An ML855 could be function like new

Bypasss or replace the switch and see what happens.

Just be careful of the line voltage and high voltage inside!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's a crap shoot. Some diodes have exception coherence length but
many/most are very short.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

dave writes:

On 09/10/2013 07:15 AM, wrote:
[...]

They go soft if you don't use them. The gases get unmixed. You may get
it to come back but probably not.

IF they are soft-seal. If newer than around 30 years of age, they will be
hard-seal with an essentially infinite shelf life.

Running a soft seal tube that has a decently bright discharge may get it
to come back to life after anywhere from a few hours to months.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"chuck" wrote in message ...

09/10/2013On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:41:52 +0200, Leif Neland
wrote:

Roger kom med denne ide:

You'll also find a new keyswitch from digikey or newark will cost less
than talking to a locksmith.
I've worked with HeNe tubes before. The ones I've seen are a foot to 1.5
feet in length; they are usually 1 milli-watt to 5 milli-watts laser
output
power. You would not want to get the beam directly in your eye, it could
cause some damage. I have heard that the eye very quickly turns to avoid
being damaged though.

Sign: Don't look into laser with remaining good eye.

I worked for a company in the mid 80s that sold Pioneer Laser Disc
players. A high school kid came in one day who experimented with the
laser tubes from these players. He had holes burnt into the iris of
one of his eyes. Chuck
Bull****!

A read laser does not have that much power. If it was a CD Burner - then
that could happen. With a regular CD player, the laser might damage the
Retina which is at the back inside of the eye ball, it converts what we see
into a signal that our brain decodes as an image.

I would still like to know why it is allowed that anyone can buy a handheld
diode laser under 5 milliwatts without any safeties or adult supervision.
They can do lots of damage!

Roger

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

[...]

Hi Sam, Thanks for the response. You're talking about sending the laser into a F-P and looking at the output? A flat mirror F-P (Etalon), a confocal curved mirror F-P, or something in between?

The beam quality is also a lot better than most diode lasers (divergence,

beam profile).

With some you can put another mirror in front or in back of the laser

(if accessible) and get 1 or more of the other HeNe wavelengths.

Yeah there are lots of fun things if you allow for access to the cavity. I recall fondly an argon laser in grad school, that was equipped with a grating and mirror on one side... you could tune through all the Argon lines. There is a certain beauty in the 'pure' blue colors.
I can go on and on.....
Contact me directly via repairfaq.org if you'd like.

Thanks Again,

George H.

--

sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

George H.

If it is less than about 30 years old, the tube is hard-sealed and

doesn't really leak. An ML855 could be function like new

Bypasss or replace the switch and see what happens.

Just be careful of the line voltage and high voltage inside!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:32:45 -0500, "Shaun"
wrote:

"chuck" wrote in message ...

09/10/2013On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:41:52 +0200, Leif Neland
wrote:

Roger kom med denne ide:

[...]

The kid did have holes in his iris, maybe he experimented with other
more powerful lasers that I didn't know about. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:58:24 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
writes:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:36:41 PM UTC-4, Roger wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message ...

snip

Shaun

Hi Shaun, Certainly the beam profile is better in a HeNe.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'more coherent', but for the few diode lasers I've looked at - compared to the short cavity HeNe that I have, the diode lasers had a longer coherence length.

(Which struck me as a bit weird the first time I saw it... I had this mistaken belief that the coherence length was related to the cavity length.)

I'm not sure if the long cavity HeNe's have a longer or shorter coherence length when compared to the short cavities... Perhaps Sam will educate us.

George H.

It's a crap shoot. Some diodes have exception coherence length but
many/most are very short.

OK that's good to know. It'd be nice if someone had a list of good diode lasers. The one we use is from US lasers M650-5I. ~$33 from digikey. We have a couple of others but I never looked at the coherence length.

George H.

--

sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

[...]

Generally, a confocal FP is best since it greatly simplifies alignment.

For the HeNe, the mirror Radius of Curvature (RoC) of both mirrors needs
to be less than about 50 mm so that the Free Spectral Range (FSR, or
mode spacing of the FP) is larger than the gain bandwidth of the
HeNe red transition.

One of the FP mirrors is then mounted on a piezo transducer (PZT) and
the FP is scanned rather than the laser. The PZT can be the beeper
element from a digital gizmo or less than $2 from Digikey.

More info at: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserlia.htm#liasfpi

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:10:39 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:
writes:

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:57:18 PM UTC-4, Samuel M. Goldwasser wrote:

snip stuff to get rid of double spaces

[...]

OK you may like this, I have only a few youtube videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geQVSrXN3tE
I'm sending a diode laser into a confocal cavity, (20 cm mirrors)
with the cavity length set maybe 1cm short, so all the modes, don't all fall at the same wavlength. I'm then scanning the laser wavlength, and have a bare CCD camera (no lens) pointing into the back end of the cavity. This video has mostly just the even modes* but the others show both odd and even..

George H.
*if you get the laser 'smack dab' down the middle you lose 'most' of the odd modes.

--

sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

writes:

[...]

I assume you are seeing a combination of the laser modes (if not single
longitudinal mode) and the off-axis cavity modes. It may be possible to
determine the spectrum of the diode laser from the video but that's above
my pay grade.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/