Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default OT -- drywall repair

On 9/10/2013 1:03 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/9/13 11:20 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Any reason not to use my ROS to smooth out the joint compound on a
small -- 12x10 -- drywall repair?

The risk of sanding too deep. It would *very* easy to sand too far with
a ROS without a lot of practice.

That size repair with those black, mesh drywall sheets could be done in
less time than it would take to unwrap the get the ROS out, unwrap the
cord and plug it in. :-)
Seriously, drywall mud is about the fastest thing in the world to sand.

I used 150 grit (screen) on the setting/taping coat, and 220 grit on the
final coat with good results. Important to go in a circular pattern to
avoid leaving grooves. I've seen others complain that the screens
leave defects (before painting), but I think they must not have used a
good primer. My experience is limited to one 600 square foot project. If
you can spend a little for a sanding pad you can attach to a shop vac,
you would enjoy it very much--but you don't have that much to do (maybe
you can borrow one?) As suggested, "wet sanding" may be even better
(for the last of it).

Bill