Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Deck Repair w/Trex (and link to jpg)

"Bill" wrote in message

SWMBO left heavy flower pots on each end of our 48"
unsupported step made out of Trex this summer, and the Trex boards warped
(very bad--more than 2").

The design looks poor, so that's where I'll point the
blame. ; )
Here is a drawing of the current design along with my
proposed solution:
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/deckstep.jpg
Questions:
1. I would prefer to use screws (rather than nails) to
add new structural support, so I don't cause damage. 2.5",
pre-drilled?
2. In the diagram of my proposed solution, I would have
screws being (not) held by end grain. I know that this is
a problem.. What is a smart, easy and inexpensive way to get around this
here? It looks like I need a brace/bracket of some sort. I would like my
repair to last! : )

I presume you're talking about attaching the short pieces of the new wood to
the new longer ones.

a. Dump them and attach the new long ones through the old long ones.
Screws/nails into the end grain doesn't matter a bit as their only purpose
here would be to prevent lateral movement.

b. Dump them and use small blocks in their place...screw blocks to existing,
screw new to blocks.

--

dadiOH