Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:18:27 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 13:50:16 -0700 (PDT), Michael

wrote:

I went by Sears today. I like this saw.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...a=00921833000P

The motor is 1 3/4 HP. Will I miss that much HP since I've been using at 2 HP for years? The most stress I put on the saw is ripping 45 inch long green hickory that I've planed to square.

The lesser-priced saw has some kind of flange sticking into the miter slot that will not let me use my many jigs. What a bad idea.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...a=00921833000P

Mike

FWIW, Mike, I spent $350 for a Jet contractor saw, with the Rockler outfeed

table, mobile base, a few half decent blades a couple summers ago to get my son

started in woodworking. It was used, but very little. Take a look on

Craigslist or contact your local woodworking club. You could wind up with a

heck of a deal and a much better saw.

Regards,

Roy

I'm thinking the same thing, but I also like the idea of the warranty as well as the yearly extended warranties that you can get for Sears products. I looked around and there are some pretty good deals in the area. If I'm patient, I'm sure something will work out.

Something like this, for example: http://wausau.craigslist.org/tls/4046902862.html

Thanks.