Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On 9/7/13 3:50 PM, Michael wrote:
I went by Sears today. I like this saw.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...a=00921833000P

The motor is 1 3/4 HP. Will I miss that much HP since I've been
using at 2 HP for years? The most stress I put on the saw is ripping
45 inch long green hickory that I've planed to square.

The lesser-priced saw has some kind of flange sticking into the miter
slot that will not let me use my many jigs. What a bad idea.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...a=00921833000P

Mike

I don't know how old your Craftsman is but the new ones are no where
near the quality of the old ones. They make them all shiny and put on
big plastic knobs and dials to make them appear hefty and high quality,
but you can get much better saws for the money.
I don't know about that saw but Craftsman also has a nasty habit of
making their miter slots different dimension than the industry standard
so that you have to buy their accessories. They are also notorious for
being *non* adjustable in critical areas like arbor to slot fine tuning.

Someone else mentioned craigslist. If you're in a decent sized city,
you can get some incredible deals on there. I got my $1k Delta tablesaw
for $225 and it was a year old.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)