Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Apprentices and charity work

On 08/09/2013 09:48, ARW wrote:

Now the third one. I did not work much with him. But how do you motivate
someone who deliberately does half a job

Bonus for doing the job right, even if that's just you digging into your
pocket to buy him a Mars bar? Or even just praise for doing well? It
does sound like you (maybe the whole firm) haven't got the hang of how
to deal with these kids.

, lies

Maybe because you are down on him like a ton of bricks every time he
makes a mistake?

, refuses to do what you ask
him

I have given up having staff, as they never did what I wanted. It turns
out that I was lousy at managing staff and giving clear instructions ....

and answers back.

Ohmigod! Never!

What's the point, anyway, as you probably don't listen?

Well I got sick it so I grabbed him by the throat
slammed him against a wall put my fist to his face and shouted "answer back
to me once more and I'll smash your face in".

I'm quite surprised that he didn't get his phone out and dial 999.

Well that stopped the
answering back but he still had no interest in the job so he was fired. You
cannot force them to be interested.

No, you can't make them interested. Well, you can't. Other people might
be able to.