Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Apprentices and charity work

GB wrote:
On 07/09/2013 17:46, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 07/09/2013 15:33, ARW wrote:

And we will just get another three and start again.

I find it hard to believe that it makes commercial sense to have
such a high turnover. It takes time to train them, and even just
having to process the payroll for them costs money. Selecting
fewer, better ones, and nurturing them more, would make more sense
to most organisations.

Are you an expert on choosing 16 year olds suitable for the trade?

Nope. Does your firm take all comers? If the firm is actually
selecting the ones you moan about, maybe you should alter the
selection process. Or motivate them more in some way?

Well one went because he chose his mobile phone over work, there is not a
lot I can do about that. One left because he lost his driving license and
could no longer get to work. Other than the mobile phone I had no issues
with them

Now the third one. I did not work much with him. But how do you motivate
someone who deliberately does half a job, lies, refuses to do what you ask
him and answers back. Well I got sick it so I grabbed him by the throat
slammed him against a wall put my fist to his face and shouted "answer back
to me once more and I'll smash your face in". Well that stopped the
answering back but he still had no interest in the job so he was fired. You
cannot force them to be interested.

--
Adam