Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On 9/7/2013 7:18 PM, Knuttle wrote:
On 9/7/2013 5:29 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 09/06/2013 08:53 PM, Michael wrote:
Not too much and no smell, but it looks like the motor is about to go.
What are my options? I hate to say good-bye to an old friend.

Mike

Surprisingly, Sears Parts may still have replacement motors
for this. Get the full parts number off the saw and have a look
on their website or call a local Sears Parts outlet.

I have a saw of similar vintage and will not part with it. It fits
my garage/shop corner perfectly and is of a vintage that still had
machined metal surfaces as opposed to the newer plastic/aluminum.
Unfortunately, the motor is going to set you back a nice chunk of
change. But .. it's probably only a bit more than having the motor
rebuilt and you get a brand new motor ... for another 25 years.

I have modified mine so extensively that table surface, motor,
and frame are all that are left of the original saw:

http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworking/TableSaw/

Before doing away with the saw look on the net or in the phone book and
find a shop that handles small electric motors.

Many years ago I thought my motor was dead, As you found replacement
motors are expensive. I took it to a local shop. He showed me what
the problem was. (Old saw dust and wood chips in the contacts.) That
was over 10 years ago and the motor is working perfectly.

After every use, I use the vacuum to clean all of the openings on the
motor. Every couple of years I take it a part and clean everything.
Just carefully put it back together and make sure there are no extra
parts when you are done. It is really a simple task.

I have a 10" Sears table saw that was purchased new in 1969. It has
the cast iron top. I would not trade it for any thing similar made
today, it I could find a 10" table saw with anything but a pressed steel
top.

Look on Craigs list, you can buy a vintage unit for under 100, just take
the motor and use the rest for parts.

Jeff