Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Faucets in Shower? Still Legal?

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 14:15:20 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 9/6/2013 1:26 PM, sms wrote:
On 9/6/2013 11:45 AM, mcadchri wrote:

snip

But if you want to put it in your home, go ahead. It's your home. You
just
probably won't find an experienced licensed plumber, you know the people
who do this work for a living and are educated in it, who will risk his
license to do it for you. Hope this helps!

There's another issue as well. If a guest is scalded when using your
shower, and sues you, the insurance company will investigate to see if
the valve was ever replaced. If it was replaced after the requirement
for the scald-proof valves then they will want to know who installed the
valve. If it was a licensed plumber then they'll go after them. If it
was the homeowner it gets dicey. The homeowner violated the code by
installing a non-compliant valve so the insurance company could refuse
to pay.

People have not even mentioned one of the primary limiting components as
to homeowner repairs/changes to his home. That is the mortgage holder
for the property, unless the homeowner owns the property free of a mortgage.

Utter nonsense.

Read the mortgage papers you signed. You must maintain the property so
the value is at least as great as the mortgage principal balance. Also,
in most cases, the mortgage owner has the right to inspect your property
at least annually.

Good grief! Replacing the shower mixing valve doesn't change the value
of the home. ...not even $.25.

Years ago, my brother worked for a mortgage company. One day he called
to see if I knew where a particular house was located. It was right next
door, with a board fence between the properties. The mortgage holder
asked my brother to inspect the place. The property owner was a
contractor and the entire place was filled with lumber, old bathroom
fixtures and who knows what else. My brother visited and told the owner
the mortgage holder gave him 30 days to clean it all up. Which he did.

...and that's relevant to a mixing valve, just how?