Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

Michael wrote:

Yeah, I just talked to a guy who does this. He said it's going to
cost more than the motor is worth.

I went by Sears today. I like this saw.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...a=00921833000P

The motor is 1 3/4 HP. Will I miss that much HP since I've been
using at 2 HP for years? The most stress I put on the saw is ripping
45 inch long green hickory that I've planed to square.

The lesser-priced saw has some kind of flange sticking into the
miter slot that will not let me use my many jigs. What a bad idea.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...a=00921833000P

SFWIW

NEMA rates a 1-1/2 HP and a 2 HP general purpose motor but not a 1-3/4
HP motor.

To get a 1-3/4 HP motor requires a slip stick and some assumptionsG.

We all know what assuming does.

Don't have a slip stick, use a calculator.

In any event, you are going to want to operate at 240V.

Hickory is a tough wood and green hickory is even more difficult to
cut.

About 15 years ago, bought a Delta contractor's saw complete with a
Unifence
for about $800.

No blade was included and that saw is no longer offered for sale.

Sears & Roebuck offered a pretty decent line of homeowner grade power
tools with their Craftsman brand; however, over the last 20 years,
they have
degraded the brand to the point that today it is widely referred to as
Crapsman.

IMHO, $550 does NOT buy a tablesaw that is worth bringing home.

As others have mentioned, probably time to look at what is offered in
the market.

You don't indicate whether this is for a hobby or a business, but if
it were me,
I'd look very hard at the SawStop and try very hard to convince myself
that
there is no way I can't afford not to own one.

Have fun.

Lew