Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 13:50:16 -0700, Michael wrote:

The motor is 1 3/4 HP. Will I miss that much HP since I've been using at
2 HP for years? The most stress I put on the saw is ripping 45 inch long
green hickory that I've planed to square.

Horsepower ratings on saws are nebulous at best. Look at the amperage
instead. It takes 745 watts (amps * volts) to make one horsepower and
that's if the motor is 100% efficient which none are. A 15 amp motor
might go to 1 3/4 horsepower but even that is doubtful.

And look at some other brands than Craftsman, the Sears stuff ain't what
it used to be. I don't know what your budget is but Jet, Delta, and
Powermatic all make better saws than Craftsman. And if the sky's the
limit there's always Sawstop.

carrying a cross.