Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk Tim Daneliuk is offline

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On 09/06/2013 08:53 PM, Michael wrote:
Not too much and no smell, but it looks like the motor is about to go. What are my options? I hate to say good-bye to an old friend.

Mike

Surprisingly, Sears Parts may still have replacement motors
for this. Get the full parts number off the saw and have a look
on their website or call a local Sears Parts outlet.

I have a saw of similar vintage and will not part with it. It fits
my garage/shop corner perfectly and is of a vintage that still had
machined metal surfaces as opposed to the newer plastic/aluminum.
Unfortunately, the motor is going to set you back a nice chunk of
change. But .. it's probably only a bit more than having the motor
rebuilt and you get a brand new motor ... for another 25 years.

I have modified mine so extensively that table surface, motor,
and frame are all that are left of the original saw:

http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworking/TableSaw/

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/