Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 9:08:45 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
On Friday, September 6, 2013 11:23:17 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Michael" wrote:

It's a direct drive. I like the idea of having someone rebuild the

motor. What will that set me back?

Unfortunately a rewind of a fractional HP, direct drive motor will

probably cost 75%-80% of the cost of a new direct drive saw.

Lew

Yeah, I just talked to a guy who does this. He said it's going to cost more than the motor is worth.

I went by Sears today. I like this saw.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...a=00921833000P

The motor is 1 3/4 HP. Will I miss that much HP since I've been using at 2 HP for years? The most stress I put on the saw is ripping 45 inch long green hickory that I've planed to square.

The lesser-priced saw has some kind of flange sticking into the miter slot that will not let me use my many jigs. What a bad idea.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...a=00921833000P

Mike