Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Faucets in Shower? Still Legal?

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 04:31:22 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 15:44:02 +0000, mcadchri
m wrote:

replying to samueltilden, mcadchri wrote:
samueltilden wrote:

We are remodeling our bathroom and I want the "old fashioned" two
faucets: one for hot and the other for cold.
Both the plumber and the plumbing supply company say that two faucets
have been declared illegal and that we must, by law, use the one
faucet (for both hot and cold) in the shower. They say that the
legislature mandated one faucet in case someone flushed the toilet and
somebody else is taking a shower.
Only my wife (of 30 years) and I live at home and, duh, we know when
the other is showering or using the toilet. We knock on the wall or
simply ask, "may I flush?"
Yes, I have used the one faucet shower (e.g., hotels) and have a
strong preference for the two faucet shower.
Now, is it really true that some legislature has actually outlawed two
faucets in a shower?
If so, which legistature (e.g., federal, state, county)? I need to
see this in writing.
P.S. I can understand mandating safe electricity practices, of course,
but faucets in a shower?
Thanks.

In some states two-handle faucets have been made illegal according to the
published uniform plumbing code of that state. Each state produces their
own uniform plumbing code. By illegal, it means that a licensed plumbing
professional can NOT install this device for risk of his license being
revoked by the state, in essence ruining his business and/or livelihood.
Any existing two-handle is grandfathered in if it existed prior to the
code being written. However, if the valve goes bad and needs to be
replaced, it MUST be replaced with a pressure balanced single handle
valve. The only way around this is to have an unlicensed individual
(handyman, do-it-yourselfer) perform the repair. If you do this though you
are rolling the dice on whether or not this repair will be done properly.
If, let's say, your handyman replaces the valve and does a shoddy job and
the valve bursts 3 months after installation, any damage to floors, walls,
ceilings, etc., will be the responsibility of the homeowner to fix out of
pocket. The insurance company will disregard the claim because your device
was not installed by a state licensed industry professional.

Hope this helps!

Soon, it will be illegal to take a **** between certain hours. Before
our politicians take away our guns, we need to march to specific
government buildings armed and ready to do some shooting. Otherwise we
can kiss American goodbye. Next time you sing the Star Spangled Banner,
DO NOT use the words "land of the free". It's a goddamn lie!

**** it, I think I'll replace my single handed shower faucet with a
double just to spite the cocksuckers!

Up here inKitchener/Waterloo Ontaro when a new water heater is
installed a scald-proof valve needs to be installed at the water
heater that "tempers" the water to a "safe temperature" - meaning you
can use 2 handle faucets and have no danger of scalding. It also means
it is virtually impossible to get hot water!!!