Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 21:23:17 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

It's a direct drive. I like the idea of having someone rebuild the
motor. What will that set me back?

Unfortunately a rewind of a fractional HP, direct drive motor will
probably cost 75%-80% of the cost of a new direct drive saw.

I've got a 1948 Delta with a motor that's so heavy I can barely lift it.
Some of that is my age but it's still one *heavy* motor.

I was told by a guy who worked at a motor place that if it ever failed, I
should get it fixed instead of replacing it because the newer motors
didn't have anything like the torque of the old ones.

I don't know if he was correct or if this applies to the OPs motor. Just
something to consider besides cost.

carrying a cross.