Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

John B. on Fri, 06 Sep 2013 19:03:50 +0700 typed

So, my questions:
1) Does anyone have the specs for the bullets themselves? Or a
link to where those same specs can be found?

Bullet diameter is 0.251".

Length?
--
pyotr filipivich

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. I believe that all the
Browning cartridges head space on the case mouth, at least the ones I
had anything to do with did (although on second thought some of them
are semi-rimed I think). I think that you are talking about the
dimensions of the part of the bullet that sticks out of the case,
which, other then overall length, isn't much of consideration, at
least for a .25 Browning.

Right now, I have a bullet 7.49 mm long (from base to point) which
merely sits on the cartridge - because I have an additional 0mm for
the cartridge/brass to grasp.

With pullets shot out of an "automatic pistol" the radius of the
bullet point is more to do with the feeding of the cartridge into the
barrel then anything else.

There is a short tapered portion of the interior of the barrel, just
ahead of the chamber shoulder but that is more a factor of the bullet
being squeezed into the rifling. A revolver that seats the cartridges
outside the barrel still has a "forcing cone" - a short taper in the
rear of the barrel.

The Forcing Cone I learned about. IT wants to be a bit larger
than the outside dimension of the bullet so that the bullet, launched
from the cylinder, will cross that gap, "land" inside the cone, and be
forced into concentricity with the axis of the barrel.
--
pyotr filipivich