Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

John B. on Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:01:07 +0700 typed
On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 11:41:19 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Greetings

I have a couple questions on bullet sizes and barrel thickness.

In order to keep my hand in over summer break, I'm in the midst of
a CAD project. Maybe I can learn a few things too, about CAD, Catia
and the object of my project.
Yes, for "grins and giggles", I am attempting to gin up drawings
for the 6.35 mm "Pistola Con Caricato". The three barrel 18 shot one
off from the 1920's. Yeah, that one.
So, I have the SAAMI pdf with the dimension of the standard .25
cal / 6.35x16mmSR Browning cartridge. "Way cool" - but it did cause a
bit of "redrawing" as I had made preliminary drawings with a dimension
of 6.35 mm. "oops" (Actually, I was trying to get the geometry
sorted out, how to get lines to start where I wanted them, instead of
the apparent random location the program defaults to.)
Anyway, I now have a nice profile of a standard 6.36x16mmSR round
- bullet and cartridge. [23.11 mm OAL, as per spec]. What I don't
know however is: how long is the bullet itself?
"As Drawn" the bullet has nothing inside the brass to hold it
together. While this may not be a serious problem for merely drafting
a chamber for the cartridge, it offends my Professional Standards to
not have a "real bullet" correctly sized which can then be matched up
with the cartridge, and then that Assembly inserted into the Cylinder
Unit.

So, my questions:
1) Does anyone have the specs for the bullets themselves? Or a
link to where those same specs can be found?

Bullet diameter is 0.251".

Length?
--
pyotr filipivich