Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

On 9/3/2013 11:57 AM, N8N wrote:
well, reviews of the new Energizer cells are scarce because a lot of
the really knowledgeable tech geeks wrote them off completely after
the 2500s were so awful. But I was in Sam's the other day; they had
a multi-pack of I think 8xAA and 2xAAA for about $15, if you could
use your coupon on those you could try them for cheap.

I still would get a good charger like Maha or LaCrosse (there are
others that are good, but those are the names I see over and over
again)

good luck

nate

Was out and about when I posted that... posted with my phone through
Gurgle Gropes (who apparently didn't quote SM...)

anyway... now that I'm back in front of a PC, it appears that there was
at least one test of these posted on CPF

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...h-AA-New/page2

they look like they're in between the Eneloops and Imedions in terms of
capacity (not surprising as their rated capacity is between the two as
well) but user reviews range from "they work fine" to "they suck, they
don't last." However it seems possible that some of the latter are
actually people inadvertantly picking up very old stock 2300s instead of
the new 2300s. Seems that the new ones, although not explicitly
advertised as "precharged" or "ready to use" or anything like that are
in fact LSD type, although what I haven't seen is a good test of
self-discharge rates. If I happen across one I'll post it. So
basically if you can get them cheap with a coupon they might be worth a
try. They're still more expensive than Eneloops through regular retail
channels e.g. Target etc. but if you can get the multi-pack on sale at
Sam's and the mix of mostly AAs and only a few AAAs works for you, or
you use a coupon to get your purchase price significantly below
~$2.50/cell, they might be a good deal for you.

If you do pick 'em up, make sure you get 2300s with a recent date code.
When I was at Sam's, they had a display of some lower capacity cells
(1400 mAh I think?) for the same price right next to the 2300s.

nate