Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

On 9/3/2013 8:30 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 8/31/2013 8:54 PM, sms wrote:

I order batteries from "http://www.batteryjunction.com/" and they have
Eneloop, Panasonic Evolta and Tenergy Centura. They don't have Maha
Imedion batteries.

Costco sells Eneloops in AA and AAA bundles, which vary over time.
Sometimes they have a charger bundled in, sometimes they don't,
occasionally they'll have both with and without a charger.

I just purchased an Eneloop package at Costco for $23 that included 8 AA
batteries, 2 AAA, a couple each C and D adapters, and a charger. After
pricing just the batteries locally and online, I went back and bought
another package.

Costco is about the best place I've found for Eneloops. Also, the Sanyo
charger is very good in terms of end of charge detection, using -ˆ†V and
temperature. You just can't use it for NiCad AA cells though because
NiCads have a different end of charge detection.

I think that one reason that you don't see more C & D NiMH batteries is
that the chargers are rather large.

The best smart charger I've found is the Tenergy TN190 (I have the
previous model the T6278). This is a better than the Maha or LaCrosse
smart chargers. But the reality is, the Sanyo Eneloop charger will
charge the batteries just as well, it just won't provide all the
detailed information on the charge state, and there's no discharge
function to attempt to revitalize problem cells. These higher end
chargers provide a lot of information, and for a techie they're
interesting, but the reality is that there's no real advantage to them.
Just avoid super-low-end chargers with no end-of-charge detection.

Well actually there is one big difference between chargers. Sanyo's
original Eneloop charger had four separate channels so you could charge
1, 2, 3, or 4 batteries. The newer ones charge in pairs so you can't
charge an odd number of batteries. So if this is a concern, look for a
charger with 4 independent channels.