Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

On 9/3/2013 8:30 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 8/31/2013 8:54 PM, sms wrote:

I order batteries from "http://www.batteryjunction.com/" and they have
Eneloop, Panasonic Evolta and Tenergy Centura. They don't have Maha
Imedion batteries.

Costco sells Eneloops in AA and AAA bundles, which vary over time.
Sometimes they have a charger bundled in, sometimes they don't,
occasionally they'll have both with and without a charger.

I just purchased an Eneloop package at Costco for $23 that included 8 AA
batteries, 2 AAA, a couple each C and D adapters, and a charger. After
pricing just the batteries locally and online, I went back and bought
another package.

Even though the C & D batteries "made" with the adapters have a
relatively low capacity compared to true C & D NiMH batteries, I suspect
that for most users it's not of great concern since they are going to
recharge the batteries anyway, and they have a spare set ready to use.

I thought it was interesting that Sanyo was willing to do a low
self-discharge NiMH. The reason for the self-discharge problem has been
known for a long time, as has the solution. The problem is that the side
effect of the solution is to reduce the capacity. So you have to do some
good marketing to convince consumers that a 2000mAH cell is better than
a 2800mAH cell at the same or lower price. It's like trying to convince
someone to buy a digital camera based on high-ISO noise characteristics,
not just the number of megapixels.