Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus15501 Ignoramus15501 is offline

Default Starvation Wages

On 2013-09-02, wrote:
On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 09:22:53 -0500, Ignoramus15501

On 2013-09-02,
wrote:
On Sunday, September 1, 2013 10:04:31 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus27947 wrote:
Correct. Smaller and smaller in number, as time goes on. It is a slow
process, but inevitable.

I spend nights worrying about this stuff and related issues.

There is no place to hide.

This discussion has been about wages, and finding good jobs is
getting more and more dificult. Computers eliminate jobs in two
ways. One is where the computer does the work that used to be done
by a human. The other is where the computer increases the
productivity. An example of this is the Draftman. A draftman is now
much more productive than when drawings were made on vellum using
ink. I have no good solution for finding good jobs, except to say
that one needs to constantly work at staying current in your field.
I had a lot of experience with that as the estimate is that half of
what an electrical engineer knows is obsolete every seven years. So
I had to constantly learn in order not to become obsolete.

But wages are only part of getting by. The other part is saving and
investing. Pretty much all my working life, I spent less then what
I made and invested that money. So now I have been retired for
fifteen years and the largest part of my income comes not from
pensions or Social Security. But from dividends and the " Required
Minimum Distributions " from my IRA's. So my solution to starvation
wages is income not based on wages.

Very nice. I save too. And I was, so far, moderately lucky with my
choice of what to invest in and, more importantly, what not to invest
in.

However, I have seen enough to realize that a couple of instances of
"bad luck" can ruin everything when it comes to savings. For example,
a divorce and a health trouble.

The universal plan to financial success:
Rule #1 - Marry the right woman the FIRST TIME.

Yep...